Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January 30 - Last Wednesday in January

On Monday, I went to a lecture at the East Bank Regional Library.  The speaker was a delightful woman named Diane Aigaki.  I really had no expectations as to what I was going to see and to say that everything she said resonated with me is an understatement.

From her lecture I pulled (4) main points that seems to relate to writing, especially my writing.

#1 - Be open to serendipity, synchronicity, and messages from the universe.
Every step in my life as had some form of writing in it.  But if I had never lived in Augusta, Georgia I would have never got involved with the National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo), by getting involved with that when I moved I connected with people in New Orleans, from them I have progressed and learned.

#2 - Believe in the value of your experience and skills; look for opportunity to use them beyond community and beyond your country.
Perhaps this is one that I need to work on.  I doubt my skills all the time.  I fight the doubt-monster all the time.  Though I have been writing off and on my whole life, I constantly let doubt keep me back.

#3 - Be flexible.  Follow your vision and your passion.
I watch other people around me and I see the joy they get from following their visions and their passions.  I want that for myself.  Yet, I seem to be the one person who holds myself back from ascertaining this goal.

#4 - Don't give up. Be persistent. Be resilient.
In the smallest way I haven't given up.  I've been writing since Junior High.  I'm still writing and learning and improving.  But I stop short of getting my work to the next stage.

But the most important writing lessons are in the revision.  Learning the craft is in the revision.  I will keep moving forward until I get a finished piece.  Thank god the week before the lecture at the East Jefferson Library was Rob Cerio.  His lecture was about revision.  I now have a check list of things to do when going through a draft.

It was meant to be.  Thank you Diane and thank you Rob.

I'm hopeful.  Thank you Diane and thank

No comments:

Post a Comment